Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Banana Bread

We often enjoy this moist banana bread recipe that my sis in law, Kari, shared with me. The smell of banana bread baking in the oven... Ahhh, just heavenly.


3 bananas
1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tblsp buttermilk* (see below how to make your own)
2 cups flour


In a small bowl, mash bananas and set aside. Mix butter and sugar together until creamy. Add in eggs, vanilla and buttermilk, mixing well. Add dry ingredients and the mashed bananas alternatively to the batter, until completely combined.

Grease a bread loaf pan and pour batter in. I find that this recipe make one LARGE loaf, or one regular sized one and a mini loaf. I like to make the latter because the girls get a kick out of the mini loaf. (okay, so do I).

Bake 325 F for 1 hour or until when toothpick inserted comes out dry. The mini loaf will be done sooner, around 30 minutes or so.

*If you don't have any buttermilk on hand (I never do), you can make your own!

Buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup milk

Combine and let sit for 15 minutes. The milk will start to curdle and there you go...buttermilk!

1 comment:

  1. I made this Jen and I must say it turned out much better, moister and golden (not dark brown) than the Betty Crocker classic cookbook recipe. Delish!

    ReplyDelete