Friday, January 14, 2011

Apple Butter

Apple butter is something new to me.  I had never even tried it until a few months ago!  This is a clean eating recipe that is great to use as a topping for so many things or even a mix-in.  We usually use it to top pancakes and waffles, and mix it in oatmeal instead of using syrups and sugar.  I usually freeze the extra in small containers and thaw in the fridge whenever we run out!  It tastes and smells so good.

8 apples (that's what fits in my 4 Qt slow cooker, but you can use more if you have a bigger one)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp vanilla
agave nectar to taste (I use 1/4 cup or less)

You can either peel the apples first and then quarter them, or pick out the skins later when it's cooked.  (I've picked out the skins the last two times I've made it and I think that I'll peel them from now on.)

Place your quartered apples (cores removed) in the crock pot and add the vanilla.  Cover and cook on low overnight (8 hours).

Smash apples with a fork (it will be really soft and easy to do)  Pick out the skins if you didn't previously peel the apples.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook for another 4-6 hours on low and it's done!

If you want even smoother looking butter, then blend the mixture in a food processor/blender (I don't).

No comments:

Post a Comment