Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Forest Cake

Recipe from Sage Cafe (McMinnville, OR). I used to work at this little lunch cafe while for a few months while I was home from college in 1999. All of their recipes are delicious. I found their cookbook my mom bought years ago and begged her last year to let me take it home with me. Sadly, the cafe had to close it's doors a few years ago due to the boutique store below them going out of business. The Sage Cafe was located up the stairs from the boutique shop. Luckily for me, the recipes I loved are in my home now.

Cake
1 1/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp cocoa powder

In a small bowl, stir buttermilk and baking soda together. In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugars, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. In a large bowl, combine butter, egg, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat until mixed. Add buttermilk. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.

Grease a 8" cake pan (I used a deep cheesecake spring form 8" round pan). Lightly flour the inside of the pan. Pour cake batter into pan and bake at 350F degrees for 40 minutes at least. I don't remember how long it actually took to completely bake. I kept checking on the cake every 5 minutes or so until it was done. It takes longer when it's so thick. When cake is done, let it cool for 5 minutes before removing the pan.
Let cool completely (a few hours) before frosting.

Chocolate Frosting
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk
Mix ingredients together in a large bowl, adding a tiny bit of extra milk if necessary until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Frost only the sides of the cake, leaving the top bare.

Topping
1 can (14 oz) cherry pie filling
Starting at the center of the cake, dollop the pie filling. Spread from center to the sides. You're done! Slice and Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Jennie, how much baking powder?? Will the cake taste okay or that much different if I just use the same flour for the whole cake, or will the whole wheat flour make the difference? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added the baking powder amount, sorry! Gosh, I can't believe I forgot to type that in. That must have been when Raelyn climbed in my lap and I lost my place.

    You should be fine substituting it all with white, but not substituting the whole recipe with wheat (because it doesn't rise as well). So, yes, white is fine.

    ReplyDelete